Monday 5 August 2013

Skin Care... You're doing it right! - A Skin Care Overhaul

Hello!

So I've been very well read of late!
 I have been really into reading blog posts related to skin care. My interest in perfecting my skin care routine has developed very quickly through my discoveries of balmy cleansers that dissolve makeup effortlessly and exfoliating lotions that are far less harsh on the skin than the jojoba bead offerings. Finding out about the importance of hyaluronic acid and keeping the skin at its optimum P.H level has been all very much a learning curve and so I came to the conclusion:

Skin care... you're doing it wrong.

See, I was a firm believer this time around 3 months ago that using a foaming cleanser on my combination-oily-prone-to-the-odd-blemish-skin was the best I could do. I thought that dried out skin meant that it was working! Well! After reading the likes of Caroline Hirons', Lily Pebbles' and Anna's blogs I discovered that I was missing out on how to really do skin care!

I understand I am no expert, there are probably products in amongst this lot that are shameful etc but this combination seems to be (so far) working well together for me. I am still perfecting the order I use these products in, on the look out for another refreshing toner, plus I am yet to come across a face mask I feel I need to invest money in. Suggestions welcome!

So here is my version of -  Skin care... you're doing it right!

Step One - Cleansing

 Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm
Emma Hardie Amazing Face Moringa Cleansing Balm

In the morning I begin with one of these two cleansers (Caroline Hirons suggests you have at least three on rotation, I have other cleansers that I use but nothing I wish to write home about). I take a small amount and mix with some warm water from a running tap to create a cream or milk and I massage this into my face and neck. I use a fresh face cloth or my Emma Hardie cleansing cloth to remove the cleanser and I use the Emma Hardie technique to do so. 
 

In the evening I double cleanse with either of the above being my second cleanse but as I usually wear makeup during the day my first cleanse consists of a product I've known about for quite some time and even during my 'you're doing it wrong' phase.
Good old Bioderma!
I use a few cotton pads (2 or 3 usually) soaked in either Bioderma Sensibo or Sebium and sweep these across my face to remove my makeup fairly effortlessly. It's worth noting that I find both of these solutions irritating on my eyes so I am always careful with applying them to my eyes to remove eye makeup. I think Sebium is not recommended for use on the eye area. I tend to use Sebium on days when my skin is more oily or has more imperfections but Sensibo is my go to.

Bioderma Sebium Micellar Solution
Bioderma Crealine (now renamed Sensibo) Micellar Solution

Step Two - Exfoliating

Clinique Clarifying Lotion for Combination Oily Skin
La Roche Posay Effaclar Astringent Lotion Micro-Exfoliant

I carry out this step in the same way after cleansing both morning and evening. I soak a cotton pad with either of these products and sweep it across my face to unclog my pores and gently exfoliate my face to rid of any excess build up of oil. It kind of renews the skin and my skin feels squeaky clean after this step.


Step Three - Toning and Treating

Caudalie Beauty Elixir
Origins Super Spot Remover

If like me you don't have time to mess around in the morning you will understand how useful a refreshing toner in spritzer form can be. Following my deep cleanse I quickly spritz Caudalie all over my face and then I apply a little spot treatment to any fiery blemishes I may have. I don't over do it with the spot killer though as I don't want to dry out my skin. I'm particularly enjoying Origins Super Spot Remover. I repeat the same in the evenings.


 Step Four - Moisturising 
 
Hydraluron
Nivea Express Hydration Primer

Hydraluron is a new and fairly expensive discovery of mine with all the goodness of hyaluronic acid. The idea is that you put a small amount on all over your face and it increases your skins hydration from below the surface causing anything you put on your skin after it to bind better to the skin. For example applying a moisturiser like the Nivea one I'm currently using would mean that the skin is getting all the hydration from this penetrating deeper which in turn should result in well hydrated skin. I am enjoying this combination at the moment and have noticed my skin looking and feeling healthier.


Emma Hardie Amazing Face Age Support Treatment Cream
Emma Hardie Rejuvenating Night Cream

To finish I like to use these heavier moisturising creams at night. If my skin is looking dull I usually opt for the Night Cream to inject some life back into it and occasionally I will use the Age Support Cream if I'm looking for a moisture boost to reawaken tired skin in need of some love!



So there you have it! My skin care overhaul. As always I am open to suggestions on how to make my routine better.
What is your favourite skin care product? What do you recommend?

If you would like to see any full reviews of the products mentioned please let me know!

Thanks for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Be sure to leave your blog web address so I can check it out! Jo x